Sunday, February 17, 2013

Just One Couples Earnest Desire to Farm





Pap and I started our joint venture into gardening last year. The above pictures are some of the veggies we grew. We discussed starting out small so as not to get too overwhelmed, but that train of thought didn't last long. As soon as we got one bed of seeds growing we found ourselves enthusiastically starting a new bed, and we were up to our ears with veggies in no time at all. I have to say that being newbies at this gardening thing we did plant alot of vegetables thinking if we planted more than enough we might possibly get at least some harvest from the garden. Well, I suppose we have little bit of a green thumb with some of the plants in particular such as the cucumbers and okra! But then again these two were just hardier vegetables in the world of gardening I believe! We were giving away much of the cukes and okra to family and friends! I did try my hand at pickling some of our cukes and plan on trying it again this year with a couple of different varieties. We had great success with our chili peppers, serrano peppers, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. Green onions did well as did our spaghetti squash. We also had a large variety of spinach, lettuce and kales. Small pumpkins and sugar baby watermelons too.

One thing we both strongly agree upon is having a 100% organic garden. It has been interesting making up some of our homemade organic compost teas for the garden and organic insecticides. I have to say that we spent way too much time this last year in the garden hand picking squash bugs and other un-beneficial bugs from our plants. I hope to get better control over the bugs this year! I learned some things this past year about this problem and will be sharing them with you in future posts.

Oh, about that starting out small in the garden thing, well this year Pap and I are tripling what we planted last year! Ha! Thank goodness I love the feel of dirt underneath my nails!  To see more pictures of our garden from last year go here. Garden 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment