Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Edible Broccoli Leaves, Who Knew!

I had no idea that pretty much the whole broccoli plant can be eaten until recently. We harvested several crowns of broccoli florets when the plants were at their peak. They have produced several other smaller florets since then, but are for the most part through with production for the season. Before pulling the plants out of their beds I thought I would cook up some of these leaves and see what Pap and I thought about eating them. They were delicious! There are lots of recipes online if you simply google broccoli leaves. Here is what I did with them. After cutting them off the plants, clean with water. Core or cut the inner coarse vein that runs up the middle, then roll up and cut into thin long pieces.


 I chopped up a 1/2 cup white onion and several garlic cloves along with one tiny red chile pepper. Heat skillet, and coat with olive oil. Let onion and garlic simmer on low while stirring for about 10 minutes. Then add your cut up broccoli leaves. Add one cup vegetable stock and turn heat on low. Let simmer for about an hour stirring every once in a while. Of course salt and pepper too! I won't be letting any of my broccoli go to waste from now on. It really was yummy. Next time I am going to make up some cornbread to eat with it!  



This is what our beautiful broccoli looked like at its peak.




No comments:

Post a Comment